Monday, May 18, 2009

We Have Results!

As most of you know today was the result day of Audree's MRI with the Pediatric Neurologist in Lubbock. After reviewing the MRI results from what the BSA radiologist dictated, it is confirmed that Audree has an abnormality on the left ventricle of her brain. Because the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, the MRI results confirmed the symptoms of the tightness of Audree's right arm and hand. He said that he cannot promise that it will get better, but it WON'T get worse. He referenced the abnormality as "old damage," meaning that it is something that occurred in utero. He compared it to a mini stroke or something of that nature. He said that we will not need to do any follow ups with him, but instead, keep a close watch on it as the years go by and work together with her therapists and pediatrician for future treatments. He said that if her therapy does not seem to make any improvements in the future that there are other options to help the tightness more, (i.e. injecting Botox in her muscle to loosen it or do some outside therapy here in town). He has ordered the MRI pictures be sent to his office so that the neuro radiologists that specialize in the area of abnormalities in the brain can further review them. Hopefully, in a few weeks we will visit one more time over the phone about more details. I held it together while he was in the office, but teared up after he left. It's a hard thing to swallow when it's something that has to do with my babies---as I know all of you mommies know too!!! It is all going to be fine---we know---but he said that it's definitely not an overnight fix, nor is it an "in a week" fix. He said that it will take years to just wait and see how her hand and arm develop and heal. It is more than likely permanent damage and he said that she will always favor her left side, as well as, have an easier time doing things with her left side. Her right side will always be a little harder to manipulate. Through therapy, over time, we hope that she will begin to use that arm and hand more and develop strength and good range of motion. Until then, we ask that you pray in agreement with us for COMPLETE healing of her arm and hand and peace for our family. We also ask that you pray for developmental milestones to still occur with no interference. She has not begun to crawl yet, as she does not tolerate putting weight on that hand, but her pediatrician says that she is still absolutely in normal time limits of crawling---not to worry, (he doesn't know who he is talking to)! HA! We do believe that this is good news compared to what it could have been. We are grateful that it's not anything worse. Thanks for keeping up with us and praying for our family. I will continue to update as more details become available.

4 comments:

Jami said...

Thank God it's not worse. I know it's not what you were hoping to hear but I know with great support like you and Dominic she will work hard and hopefully overcome! I'll keep praying!

Cornelius Crew said...

I had been praying for you earlier this morning before I knew what the results were. I will add her to our prayers, knowing that God can do Anything! Love you~Dixie

Snuzi said...

Hi! I heard about you through the Bean family and have been praying for your sweet family and little Audree.
Keeping you in my prayers,
Stephanie

Smith Family said...

We will be praying and are in agreement with you for COMPLETE healing. Lord please give the Padilla family the grace and wisdom that they need.