Saturday, October 3, 2009

What's Been Happening (originally written September 2009)

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to blog. There have been a few things happen over the course of the last few months that have not allowed me to be the best blogger that I can be! Honestly, I sometimes get so caught up in the fact that I feel like I need to supply pictures to every blog post that I just get overwhelmed and put it off. I now feel like I need to let the "world" know how things are going. Since I haven't blogged since Audree's MRI results, I will catch up from there.


Audree has continued therapy and it has actually increased over the course of these last few months. She is now seen once and sometimes twice a week at school and twice a month here at home as well. She has grown so much and uses her hand much more! Therapy really has helped her. She is such a trooper and makes us smile all the time! She began crawling right around her first birthday at the end of August...really during September is when she got really good at crawling. She is now trying to let go of "cruising" the couches to walk on her own. She won't take any big steps on her own yet---just with assistance of a push walker or a grown up holding her hands. She tries to climb up on the fireplace hearth a lot and knows that she is not supposed to. She smiles all the while. If we tell her, "no," she throws tantrums. :) She squeezes her eyes shut and screams so loudly that she can't hear or see who is talking to her---little stinker! We are continuing the therapy and she also wears a split on her hand for naps and at night. The purpose of the splint is to hopefully pull her thumb out of her palm more. She is much more relaxed with it than she used to be, but she still often keeps her thumb tucked into her fist when she is concentrating, tired, or in her highchair concentrating on eating---she is quite the eater! We praise and encourage her when she does choose to attempt things with that hand, but it's on "her time." She doesn't like to be forced to use it much. Audree will soon be fitted for a leg brace. It is called an AFO (or Ankle-foot orthoses). It will fit down inside of her shoe and go up to her mid calf. We have figured out as she has started walking that her right foot is affected as well. She is turning it inward and they are concerned that it could cause some bad walking habits in her foot and knee going forward if we don't correct it now. We will take her to be fitted this week and it will take a couple of weeks to mold before she begins wearing it. We will work her into wearing it a little at a time so please pray for an easy transition with this. It will definitely take her some getting used to (as well as us). She has overcome so many obstacles through all of this---I just know that she will do well with this also! She has five teeth now and seems to be cutting a couple more. She is still at the same school that she attended last year. She has the same teacher and although typically the children move up on their birthday to the next room, we as a group (director, teacher, and us), decided to keep her in the infant room until she can walk on her own. The plan is to begin transitioning her into the one year old room after Christmas break. Since she has a bit of a delay in her motor skills, we opted to keep her where she is because the one year old room is nothing but rough and tumble boys, (although I told them she would fit right in there thanks to her brother)! HA! She loves school and really thrives there! I can't imagine a better place for her. We are so blessed. Jakob is still her favorite person. She can't get enough of watching him play, crawling all over him, and just plain laughing and smiling at him. He loves her so much and they really do well together. It has been very nice to see that. She turned one on Aug. 28 and it is so hard to believe! We had a combination bday party with her and Jakob since they are four days apart, (and mommy procrastinated on the parties). She had a pink party...complete with strawberry, pink cake, etc. She is eating solids very well. The staple in our house is spaghetti and that is one of the few things that she DOESN'T like! That was Jakob's fav but not Audree! Her favorite thing is zucchini and squash sauteed in olive oil, (thanks Noelle)! She also likes crackers! She has begun the fun times of throwing her food over the side of the high chair and it's then that she is told, "no," again...in which she throws another fit. She knows exactly what she is doing!

Jakob turned four on Sept. 1. He is a BIG Kindergartener now. He is doing well so far...still a typical boy and has some issues with being wild and playing Star Wars at inappropriate times but he is learning lots! He is beginning to read and knows all of his kindergarten sight words. He challenges us EVERY DAY! He is getting so big. He tells elaborate stories and really makes us laugh amidst our daily struggles with him as well! HA! He loves Star Wars, (a child after his father's heart). He can tell you just about anything about any episode and owns about 89 "lifesavers" (lightsabers)! HA! I am of course exaggerating but it seems like he owns that many! His birthday party was Star Wars---complete with Galactic Pizza and Yoda Sodas. I made cupcakes into lightsabers. The kids enjoyed them very much! I, personally, don't care to do anything with cupcakes for a long time!



Dominic is doing well. He was promoted at the bank and is now working in the technology part of the bank. He is very excited for this change---something that we talked about and decided was a great opportunity for him. I think it will do him some good to do something different for awhile. I am very proud of him!



My school year has been eventful to say the least! I was fortunate enough to be asked to present to a group of new early childhood teachers a few days before school began. I hosted about 20 new Pre-K and Kindergarten teachers in my room to help transition them into a smooth start to a new year. Unfortunately, later that same day, I learned that one of my best friends committed suicide. It hasn't been the same since. My friend Shelly, who was the one that watched Audree for us between my going back from maternity leave last October until she began at the lab school in January decided that this Earth wasn't the best place for her anymore. On Aug. 7, she left behind a 12 year old daughter and family and friends that loved her very much. Jakob has talked a lot about her and doesn't understand much why she isn't here anymore, as does anyone. We are all angry, hurt, sad, and confused, but I know that she is in a much better place. It is hard knowing she is so happy up there while we are all here wondering why we didn't get to say goodbye and that we will never get to see her again on this earth. I am not at all at peace with it and many days are very hard for me. I put on the happy face and keep going though...because I have to. All that to say, my relief has been my class. I have a GREAT group this year that keep me very busy and are lots of fun. I keep my mind off of the other while I am at work so it's my saving grace. :) I am mentoring a new teacher, still handling my technology duties, and just having fun teaching. I will also get a student teacher in my room as well this spring. It is definitely a busy year but I wouldn't have it any other way---this year especially!



Thanks for your support, prayers, friendships and love. We love you all, Janna (who promises to blog more often :))

No comments: